Uncertainty Uncertainty

OK, so first off, this is about as far removed from actual 'Drum & Bass' as is possible. This is EDM cheese, which has a pretence of Drum n Bass. It's not nice sounding. Preset perfunctory stuff. I hate to criticize, i really do. Wish i felt differently.... I'm wanting to find unique music. This is not 'that'

Walking Through the Leaves (Reimagining) Walking Through the Leaves (Reimagining)

this is dissonant, and therefore, certainly not 'easy listening'. It's over-reverbed and messy. I kinda like it, it's so bad that it's good. The slap-bass delay is actually pretty damn good, The synthesized acoustic guitar, however, is just horrible!!! Please, never use that again. The midi piano sound is also awful, it doesn't take much to change that sound, worth considering?

Emberphyte responds:

Thanks for crushing my soul and making me feel like a I did a shitty job while also giving an appropriate critique, that really makes me feel like I did anything right. Though I do think that I did classify this track incorrectly.
It's messy, yes, but it's literally just a remake from memory, and that's how I do most of my tracks.
The synthesized guitar is proof that I'm quite limited with my instruments, unlike many people who CAN use a guitar. I have none, and unfortunately, yes, it's not exactly "good", but I try to do what I can with it (even if it sounds like shit).
I also thought the piano wasn't great, either, but again, sometimes I try to do everything I can with that.
You didn't have to say that nearly everything sounds awful and you don't exactly have to tell me to never use anything again. I understand that, as a novice music producer, I may not come up with the best tracks, but there's better ways to tell me what I'm doing wrong rather than convince me that this track is a half abortion of Satan. But, because you obviously LOOK like you know what you're doing, and because you actually took time out of your day to notice this, I will change it up, though it's not even meant to be huge since it's supposed to be a track for a video game nobody seems to care about.
Next time, if there ever will be one, please keep the "awful" down a notch, because you actually brought up many good points.
Thank you.

GD Orbital - Faraway World (Original Mix) GD Orbital - Faraway World (Original Mix)

Production-wise, it sounds good. It's a horrible piece of music though. So very pastiche and uninventive. It hurts my ears to listen to such bland stuff. Im sorry, but I have to be honest. It's the most trivial piece of trance crap that I've ever heard. The 'outro' has some inventiveness, but please, kill that preset piano sound asap. It's so generic, please try harder.

GTB feat. Haneul(하늘) - Distance [EXCLUSIVE TEASER] GTB feat. Haneul(하늘) - Distance [EXCLUSIVE TEASER]

Ok, so, i'll forgive the bad digital piano sounds, the cheesy vocals and the general vibe of this track, in the want to hear 'something more'

Dj-Gonzo responds:

This is a raw non-mastered version of the final song, we know it sounds cheesy at the moment, but we are working on it, don't worry. Thanks for your critizism, we'll try our best to make it sound the best we can.

>GTB

remixing a song remixing a song

What is this? Over-reverbed-piano-hip-hop-banality. Yep. Sorry, imo, boring as fuck.

vidu3k333 responds:

I added a lot of synth to it so sorry if it's sounds like reverb to you. I will delete some of them thank you :)

Important Moment Important Moment

game of thrones demo...it's bad (imo). The trumpet sounds so very bad. Strings, ok, but the persistent drums are just annoying, yet very relevant for the regurgitative soundtrack stuff. Im sorry if I appear to be harsh, but you obviously have skill. Why waste it on such shit...

Kassich responds:

Thanks for taking the time to listen! I'll do my best to keep improving as I write!

late night messing around late night messing around

add a limiter to your 'master track' and you might have something here. It's over compressed and that ruins the vibe for me. Still, I kinda like it. Feels raw, and has a sense of fun...

JuztZhero responds:

I didn't do any mixing on this because, im tired. Going to go to sleep soon, first weekend

maybe someday ill mix this and improve it and finish it, but for now it is what it is

also it sounds reaal bass boosted because that's what newgrounds does to my songs

[C] Old Dog, New Tricks [C] Old Dog, New Tricks

... samples ahoy! strings and drum loops. It's passable because of the 'kick', but the brass and obviously looped sample strings are nasty, simple and uninventive. IMO, this is the work of someone who has zero creativity. It's base-level, gluing samples together; lacks any real inventiveness. Production is ok, in fact, surprisingly good! But how hard is it to sound good when you're using other people's ideas and presets... Plan B much? The work of someone who doesn't actually care about the idea of sounding unique. Bah, I'm jaded and i'm sorry, but it's just so boring.

Cajete responds:

Fair enough. Really, thank you for your honestly. Usually when someone leaves me a critical review I feel like they don't understand the intent of what I was aiming for. It's more of a "it would sound better like this" rather than a "this is what I hear and what I don't like". I do want to say, I'm not sure why you think the Brass is a looped sample. It's not, it's played by me. It's a beautiful brass sound-font I put on a compressor, a transient expander, tweaked some lows and mids and violà-- it's the sound you heard. Actually, most of this is played by me. You mentioned it was rather simple, which was the general idea to begin with. But I admit maybe I took it too far on the simplicity. The instruments that are in fact sampled would be a few select staccatos loops from a Kontakt plugin. You can hear them in the Chorus and a few sections of the verses. But overall things that were played by me > samples/loops I used. Those staccato loops work similar to an Arp. What I did at one point was remove the Arp effect from the strings and essentially made them single notes. This way I could use the "sound" but play my own melody with it. These are simple 3-4 note progressions (in some cases 6 or 8) layered together for chords which were fairly easily to achieve. I think that specifically contributes the the loop facade you hear. "Uninventive" is fair, but it wasn't necessarily my goal. Have you heard my other song? I make a lot of very strange things. Initially my goal was to keep it simple, I was working towards a familiar sound. I would love to hear your opinion on my other stuff. Thank you-- much love. 1

TLDR; I never ever use drum loops. That's blasphemous in my eyes. All my drum patterns are made from scratch, always have been, even since the first beat I ever made. Also, I rarely use samples. I can't even remember the last sampled beat I made, it was years ago. So you can say it's a shitty beat and you don't like it, and I'm totally ok with that because it's your opinion-- but you can't say I didn't make 95% of it from scratch. =)

Pitbulljones- Shine On Pitbulljones- Shine On

I really like the effects on the guitars, the beat and general vibe of this makes me think of early radiohead crossed with snowpatrol (but with a little more meat on its bones;) As an instrumental piece it's involving and the evolution of the sounds creates a good dynamic to the overall piece. i do think it's missing a singer though, something to elevate it to a higher level.

pitbulljones responds:

haha, yea it has got a bit of the snow patrol about it, I will take early radiohead comparisons and run with that though haha. I would love to get vocals on this but do not have a singer to hand. I could send some stems over and you could have a bash though :)

Pitbulljones- Thinking Back Pitbulljones- Thinking Back

Definitely a cinematic vibe to this. I dig the beats, but I think I'd llike to hear it without them also. It could be a very calming ambient piece. I find the little synth string part (panned to the right) that comes in around 1:52 a little off-kilter. Like one of the the notes in the riff doesn't quite work with the chords of the piece. It clashes a little, but only a little. It's quite a 'stargazing' piece this. I could definitely image watching the stars late at night with this washing over me.

pitbulljones responds:

Thanks KB for the review mate! I could certainly try something without the beats and see how it sounds. I'll have to agree on the stringy note thing, that is the weakest part of the track, it's a middle section or it's own sake to break up the track...I'm glad you got that cinematic vibe though. I do try to aim for some sort of atmosphere. Many thanks again.